LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WLFI) — The Cass County community is celebrated one of its most iconic features Saturday.
The Dentzel Carousel has officially sat in the community for 100 years. It’s located at Riverside Park in Logansport. The Dentzel family has a long history of carousel making inside and outside the United States.
At one point in history, Dentzel carousels could be found in amusement parks like Disney World and Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.
Today, David Dentzel and Barbara Dentzel-Cleary, fifth-generation siblings of the Dentzels' Carousel, traveled all the way from California to join in on the celebration.
They say it's a great feeling seeing their heritage live on in Logansport.
“We're just fortunate enough to still be here and have the passion and the time to come here and see our family heritage work, knowing the community needs to be here to make this thing go,” said David.
Event chairman Linda Baldwin said the event is not only celebrating the carousel but also the city.
“It is a hidden gem, it's our diamond of our city and because the park is a great place and the carousels in a great park why not have a festival that draws attention to both,” said Baldwin.
According to Baldwin, the Logansport Dentzel Carousel is one of two left with all its original parts.
The Dentzel siblings say there are around 12 functioning Dentzel carousels left in the U.S.
- Cass County community celebrates the Riverside Park Carousel's 100th anniversary
- Family celebrates 100th reunion
- Sam Postlethwait celebrates 100th birthday
- Cass County Community Talks Wind Farm Proposal
- City moves forward on Columbian Park carousel
- Purdue celebrates 100th startup since 2013
- Wyandotte Elementary celebrates 100th day of school
- State Representatives are working on bill to celebrate 100th anniversary of the Nineteenth Amendment
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary
- Benton Central celebrates 50th anniversary