CASS COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Cass County Superior Court II Judge Richard Maughmer was found dead underneath a car Monday night, according to Sheriff Ed Schroder.
Deputies were called to the 8000 block of County Road 500 East about 8:30 p.m. When officers arrived in a barn on his property, they found the 65-year-old dead.
Schroder said it appeared Hon. Maughmer was working on the vehicle when it came down on him.
Hon. Maughmer began serving as the Cass County Prosecutor in 1986 until he was elected to the new Superior Court II in 2001, according to online public records.
He also was a veteran of the Air Force, according to Schroder.
Chief Justice Loretta Rush has known Judge Maughmer for over 30 years. She released the following statement:
“Judge Maughmer was one of the finest judges that I have ever known. He was a wonderful person, and he served his state and his country well. As Chair of the Judicial Administration Committee, he led the entire judicial branch in a time and efficiency study. He worked with professionalism and enthusiasm to help us consider how to improve the administration of justice. The judicial branch shares in the grief of Judge Maughmer’s family, including his wife Vicki and their children.”
The Office of Judicial Administration is working with Cass County judges to ensure a pro tem appointment is made so court business continues.
- Cass County judge dies after being pinned under car
- Cass County Deputies save man reported missing from car crash
- Tourniquet saves life of car crash victim in Cass County
- One dead in Cass County crash
- Cass County Community Talks Wind Farm Proposal
- Cass County Tyson plant temporarily shut down
- Cass County Sheriff's Office investigating hotel fire
- Logansport/Cass County Airport receives grant
- Purdue held its 'Teacher Pinning Education Ceremony'
- Cass County bust turns up butane honey oil, marijuana