CHICAGO (Purdue Sports) — The Big Ten Conference has announced at its annual media day that Purdue junior guard Carsen Edwards was voted the league's preseason Player of the Year.
Voting is done by selected media members from across the league. It marks the second major preseason honor for the 6-foot, 1-inch guard from Atascocita, Texas, as earlier this month he was selected as Blue Ribbon Yearbook's national preseason Player of the Year.
Edwards, North Carolina's Luke Maye and Virginia's Kyle Guy are the only players returning nationally that were 2018 All-Americans.
Edwards, a 6-foot, 1-inch guard from Atascocita, Texas, earned the nod after an outstanding sophomore season, helping the Boilermakers to a 30-7 overall record and a spot in the Sweet 16 for the second consecutive season.
Edwards' 1,046 career points are the 12th most for an active player nationally through his sophomore season. His 686 points last year were the ninth most nationally for a freshman or sophomore and he was one of six underclassmen a year ago to have 650 points, 100 rebounds and 100 assists. He is the only player in Purdue history to have reached those marks in the same season.
Edwards was at his best late in the season, averaging 21.1 points per game in 13 games played after February 1. He tallied 40 points in a win over Illinois in late February and 30 against Texas Tech in the Sweet 16, while averaging 20.5 points per game in six postseason games. He scored in double-figures in 20 straight games to end the season, surpassing 20 points nine times.
Edwards is coming off a two-week stretch where he excelled at the nationally-renowned CP3 Camp and Nike Basketball Academy.
Edwards and the Boilermakers open the regular season Nov. 6, when Fairfield visits Mackey Arena. Season tickets are available by calling the Purdue Athletics Ticket Office at 800.49SPORT or online at PurdueSports.com.
- Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
- Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week for second time
- Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, Purdue stays put at No. 3
- Carsen Edwards earns Big Ten’s first weekly honor
- Vincent Edwards named Big Ten Player of Week
- Carsen Edwards named top returning player in college basketball
- Carsen Edwards named first-team All-Big Ten, Others receive honors
- Carsen Edwards headlines preseason AP All-America team
- Purdue's Harris, Oden named preseason All-Big Ten
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named to all-region team (NCAA Tournament)