CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — From 2014 to 2016, the Carroll County intersection of 800 West and State Road 25 had 20 crashes.
That's more than any other intersection in the county.
On Tuesday it was the scene of a fatal crash.
The Indiana Department of Transportation has plans to make it safer.
But Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby has his doubts about the plan.
"I wonder whether or not it may add more confusion to an intersection that's already a problem," said Leazenby.
It's an intersection, with a dangerous reputation.
But the Indiana Department of Transportation thinks it has a solution.
A J-turn could be installed at 800 West and State Road 25 as soon as this summer.
But Sheriff Tobe Leazenby is not sure it's the best option.
"From a safety perspective, I do have some real concerns with the J-turn," said Leazenby.
Leazenby thinks the J-turn could add confusion to what is already a dangerous intersection.
He thinks flashing lights may be a short-term solution.
But also believes the installation of an overpass could be the best bet.
INDOT spokesperson Matt Deitchley says statistically J-turns are one of the safest ways to reduce crashes.
"What that's going to do is channelize traffic, so that it will prevent them of having that issue of seeing a brief moment where it looks clear and it is not," said Deitchley.
Leazenby encourages people to reach out to their local legislators.
He says he's hoping to reach out to Senator Brandt Hershman's replacement as soon as the position is filled.
"There's only so much I can do, but at least I want to be as vocal as I can," said Leazenby.
- Carroll County intersection sees 20 crashes in 2 years
- INDOT plans to improve fatal crash intersection
- Medical scam reaches Carroll County
- Man who died after Carroll County crash identified
- Three people dead after plane crash in Carroll County
- Carroll Co. sheriff tries to stop J-turn installation at dangerous intersection
- Carroll County prosecutor decides to step down
- New prosecutor named in Carroll County
- Missing girls from Carroll County found safe
- Police raid Carroll County home, 4 arrested