CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — The Carroll County Sheriff's Office is investigating a report of horse neglect. Although the animals are safe with a volunteer caretaker now, the person who reported the incident wants to make it public.
Tiffany Gibbs is an animal lover.
"I'd rather take one that needs me because Lord knows I don't need the financial strain," said Gibbs.
Gibbs rescued all three of her horses, so she knows what it's like to take care of a previously abused animal.
However, she never thought she would have to report horse abuse.
"They had no hay, no grain, no water, they were tied to trees in the front yard and the rope was only about a foot from the tree they couldn't even move," said Gibbs.
Gibbs said she knows the owner and volunteered to help her take care of the horses but the owner wouldn't cooperate.
"She said, 'Well fine, report me, and when they come out here I'll shoot them right in front of them, I'll put them down right in front of them,' and I told the police that and they said that she's allowed to do that, they're livestock," explained Gibbs.
News 18 is choosing not to name the woman in question because the case has yet to be sent to prosecutors.
Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said the animals are safe with a third party as deputies wrap up the investigation.
"Honestly, I want her to go to jail," said Gibbs. "She needs to learn that it's not OK."
Gibbs can't help but cry over this.
"I couldn't even imagine one of these guys looking like that," cried Gibbs.
She hopes that by telling her story, more people will come forward.
"If you see it, call it, report it," said Gibbs.
Sheriff Leazenby isn't sure when the case will be sent to the prosecutor.
He said the Indiana State Board of Animal Health and Indiana Horse Rescue are involved.
- Carroll County Sheriff's Office investigating report of horse neglect
- Carroll Co. woman charged for starving horse
- Cass County Sheriff's Office investigating hotel fire
- Carroll Co. Sheriff's Office looking for 3 missing girls
- Carroll County Sheriff optimistic about future of jail
- Woman sentenced in Vigo County neglect case
- Carroll Co. Sheriff Tobe Leazenby files for re-election
- Carroll Co. sheriff discusses concerns over J-turn with INDOT
- Prophetstown horse passes away
- Carroll County prosecutor decides to step down