LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Tippecanoe County CASA leaders are already gearing up for this year's Subaru Cycling Challenge. The event isn't until August but they're seeking community support now.
CASA stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. The Cycling Challenge is a 24-hour bicycling event designed to raise money for local kids in need. Money is raised through registration and corporate sponsors.
The program's advocates are volunteers that work with abused and neglected children. The money raised will help fund educational camps, tutoring, scholarships, extracurricular classes and in the past, it has even helped purchase furniture for kids to be able to move back home after being displaced. Before the cycling challenge fundraiser, volunteers were funding these things with their own money. 100% of the event proceeds go to the kids.
CASA for kids President Patti O’Callaghan said it’s important to start preparing for this event as early as possible since it’s their biggest fundraiser of the year.
“It's good for cyclists to know when it's going to be and get their registration in and it's also important for us to get corporate sponsors, we really depend on our corporate sponsors to help raise money for the kids,” said O’Callaghan.
Last year the cycling challenge raised more than $127,000 for the children they serve. O’Callaghan said everyone in the community can benefit from participating.
“It's a win, win, win situation because it does help the kids and it helps the community have kids that are taken care of and it helps the cyclists because they get out there and get some great exercise,” said O’Callaghan. “It helps the business get information about their business out to the community and lets the community know that the business supports kids in the community.”
This year marks the 10th annual challenge hosted at Subaru. You can sign up as a team or individual. Registration is now open, click here.
O’Callaghan said they’re also looking for CASA volunteers. If you’re interested in helping, email Patti at email@example.com
- CASA for kids leaders seeking community support for Subaru Cycling Challenge
- Fundraising for 2018 Subaru CASA Cycling challenge begins
- 2019 Subaru CASA Cycling Challenge kicks off registration
- 2019 CASA Cycling Challenge team to honor late volunteer
- Final week to help a child in need through the CASA Cycling Challenge
- Subaru of Indiana exec named Business Leader of the Year
- Tippecanoe County CASA seeks more volunteers
- Subaru 5K race beats fundraising record
- SIA unveils 2020 Subaru Outback and Legacy
- Alzheimer's Walk held at Subaru Automotive Track