FRANKFORT, Ind (WLFI)— W. Washington St. in Frankfort is closed indefinitely, as the remains of the burned-out building downtown loom overhead.
"We encourage all citizens to stay away from that building right now,” said Frankfort Fire Chief John Kirby
The building looks destroyed but there are still pieces hanging.
"From the heat, the stress,” said Kirby. “From the collapse, the roof collapsing. It's unsafe."
Frankfort Fire Chief John Kirby said the building is a threat to the public. He said the pieces that are hanging could fall off. If someone is walking on the sidewalk by the building, a big chunk could fall off because it is not secure.
That's why 55 West Washington Street is now closed. Even though many other businesses are still in operation.
"We have just been shut down and we are due to open this Tuesday,” said Owner of Delilah’s Boutique and Colourz Salon Tammy Sheridan.
Sheridan business is connected to the building that caught fire. The day after the fire she had to throw half of her inventory away due to the smoke smell.
"We had to inventory everything out for the insurance,” said Sheridan. “And get a cost and all of that, which was quite time-consuming"
Sheridan is concerned about the impact the blocked off the street will have on her business, once she opens next week.
"The whole block is shut off now,” said Sheridan. “When I do re-open how is that going to affect the business because there is nowhere to park"
The City of Frankfort has released an official statement regarding the street closing. You can find that here.
- Burned-out building in Frankfort causing safety concerns
- Attica demolishes historic building after safety concerns
- Frankfort Mayor addresses wall concerns
- Shade concerns at Frankfort Zoo
- Storms cause damage in Frankfort
- Cause of Frankfort fire undetermined
- Demolition begins for burned Frankfort businesses
- Frankfort resident buys old home to burn down for revitalization
- Parents in Frankfort concerned about head lice outbreak
- Purdue builds flamethrower for Burning Man Festival