WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue head football coach Jeff Brohm has been selected the Dodd Trophy Coach of the Week by the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation and Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
Brohm led the Boilermakers to their fourth straight win Saturday, a rousing 49-20 blitzkrieg over second-ranked and undefeated Ohio State at Ross-Ade Stadium. Purdue led from start to finish while amassing 539 yards of total offense and limiting the Buckeyes to 26.2 points below their season average.
Leading 7-3 late in the second quarter, the Boilermakers adroitly executed a fake field goal, picking up a first down and scoring a touchdown on the ensuing play. Purdue put the game away with 28 fourth-quarter points.
"It was a great win for our program," Brohm said. "Our team is excited about it, and we are proud of the fact we were able to pull off that win. It was a great moment. It was awesome to soak it in. It was awesome for our players to soak in, and it was a great scene."
Brohm and his team also have been avid supporters of Purdue sophomore Tyler Trent, who is battling bone cancer but made a heroic appearance at the game and is the Boilermakers' honorary captain.
The Dodd Trophy Coach of the Week award honors the football coach whose program embodies the award's three pillars of scholarship, leadership and integrity, while also having success on the playing field during the previous week.
"Coach Brohm has done a terrific job turning around Purdue's program in such a short amount of time," said Jim Terry, chairman of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation. "This win is one that will go in the history books, and we look forward to seeing what else the Boilermakers can do as they go head-to-head with two other ranked opponents in the coming weeks."
On the heels of the win, Purdue received votes in both the Associated Press (17 - No. 36) and coaches (7 - No. 40) national polls.
The Boilermakers (4-3, 3-1 Big Ten) play at Michigan State (4-3, 2-2) on Saturday. Kickoff is noon ET, and the game will be televised by ESPN.
- Jeff Brohm named National Coach of the Week
- Jeff Brohm staying as head football coach at Purdue
- Purdue students react to Jeff Brohm speculation
- Purdue announces contract extension for Jeff Brohm
- Purdue extends head football coach Jeff Brohm's contract for the second time in 2 years
- Clearing up the rumors surrounding Jeff Brohm's future at Purdue
- Jeff Brohm compares Arizona QB Khalil Tate to Lamar Jackson
- Gold and Black LIVE April 11 with Jeff Brohm
- Jeff Brohm has played against Tom Allen before — in a bowl game
- Jeff Brohm joins News 18 This Morning to promote 'The Challenge' 5K