MONTICELLO, Ind. (WLFI) - Brian Buchanan will fill former State Senator Brandt Hershman's seat.
Republicans held a caucus Thursday night and selected Buchanan from six candidates. They included Arthur Anderson, Brian Buchanan, Edward Cripe, Stephen Jordan, Shelli Maxwell and Arvid Olson.
Buchanan lives in northern Boone County. He works for a family trucking business. He also serves on the Boone County Council.
He said there are several issues he wants to tackle moving forward.
"How are we going to bring the next round of jobs to Indiana, what are we going to do to educate our workforce, how are we going to continue to improve our schools, some more specific issues--we need to focus on the drug and opioid issue," said Buchanan.
As we've reported, Hershman left District 7 at the start of the legislative session. He now works for a law firm in Washington D.C.
- Brian Buchanan selected to fill Brandt Hershman's seat
- Hershman to retire from Indiana Senate
- Indiana Republicans working to fill senate seat
- At least 6 looking to fill State Senate seat
- State Sen. Buchanan embraces first full session
- New businesses fill downtown void
- Jury selection starts in triple homicide trial
- Finalists selected for Purdue student housing projects
- Jurors selected for Patrick Elliott murder trial
- Cocaine-filled pineapples seized in Spain