EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a 5-year-old boy watching fireworks in Indiana was rescued after falling roughly 30 feet (9 meters) into a water-filled pipe.
A crowd watched as rescuers in Evansville lowered a swing-set seat into the pipe and pulled him up Thursday night. The fire department says the boy was not injured besides cuts and scrapes, and that he was alert the entire time. The effort lasted more than an hour.
It's unclear how the boy fell into the pipe, which had a lid and only was 16 inches (40 centimeters) in diameter. Air was pumped into the pipe to ensure sufficient oxygen.
Mark Mastison of the fire department says lowering the seat was "plan F." He says his crew "went through A through E already."
- Boy who fell into Indiana pipe rescued during fireworks
- Data show Indiana union membership fell 12.5 percent in 2017
- Report: Indiana opioid prescriptions fell by 35% since 2013
- 25,000 fireworks are recalled after a boy loses his hand
- Police: 1 dead, 1 hurt in Indiana fireworks explosion
- As temperatures drop, prevent frozen pipes
- Local plumbers busy thawing frozen pipes
- Indiana church’s 1903 pipe organ hitting all the notes again
- Man sentenced to 29 years for Indiana post office pipe bomb
- Passer-by rescues boy after SUV skids into Indianapolis pond