WHITE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Officers have found the body of kayaker Stephen Pitts, who was missing since Memorial Day, according to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The Monticello Fire Department found his body around 8:50 p.m. Wednesday.
The DNR said his body was found south of the Norway Dam on the Tippecanoe River in White County. The cause of Pitts' death is pending, but officers said they believe it was an accidental drowning.
As we previously reported, around 8 a.m. Monday, dispatchers got a call that a kayaker had fallen in the water near the Norway Dam. Lieutenant Dan Dulin with the DNR said six agencies were searching for the body.
Family has been notified.
- Body of missing kayaker on Tippecanoe River found
- Body of missing South Bend kayaker found along Lake Michigan
- Authorities find missing man's kayak in Indiana river search
- White County Sheriff confirms body pulled from Tippecanoe River
- Neighbors react to body pulled from Tippecanoe River
- UPDATE: Missing Tippecanoe County man found
- Houses submerged along Tippecanoe River
- People living along Tippecanoe River react to missing person
- Kayak believed to belong to missing South Bend man found along Lake Michigan shoreline
- Body Scanner Coming to Tippecanoe County