MONTICELLO, Ind. (WLFI)-- Boaters on Lake Shafer say they are dodging hidden logs underneath the water from all the rain this past week.
"It can cause a lot of damage to a boat,"
Les Eller was referring to the 30-foot long log he found floating down Lake Shafer Sunday morning.
"And If you're pulling someone skiing or tubing, and they hit it, then it's another situation altogether."
He works at Stevenson's Point LLC, a place where visitors can rent homes on the lake. Eller posted a picture on Facebook Sunday morning to warn his residents before they went out on the water.
"Just wanted our residents to know 'Hey this stuff's out there,'" said Eller. "Because you know, 75% of them have boats and are going to be out on the water today and I didn't want anyone to get hurt."
He said for those who don't get out on the water often.
"People sometimes don't understand if they're new to the lake, if we get a lot of rain like we have, it's dammed up the river. Everything comes and flows downstream and you know, the high waters pick stuff up and just takes it with them."
Don Myers has lived on the lake since 2003. He says finding logs, branches, and debris in the water isn't anything new.
"You just got to observe a lot better than you normally would on a lake," said Myers. "Obviously you need to slow down and watch for debris."
As for Eller, he is still confused on what he should do.
"If it makes its way to the dam, they clean it up down there, I know that much," said Eller. "But that doesn't help, it's got a mile to go from here so, I don't know. We try to not to pull stuff out because what do we do with it, right?"
The Department of Natural Resources recommends boaters contact Shafer & Freeman Lakes Environmental Conservation Corporation if you find anything floating in the water.
- Boaters continue to dodge floating debris in Lake Shafer
- Body pulled from Lake Shafer identified
- Coroner: Man pulled from Lake Shafer died accidentally
- Victims in speedboat accident on Lake Shafer identified
- Two airlifted Saturday night in boat accident on Lake Shafer
- People living along Lake Shafer react to boat crash
- Police say chase suspect fled into Lake Shafer
- DNR patrols Lake Shafer for safety violations over Memorial Day Weekend
- Driver of car that drove into Lake Shafer arrested on unrelated charges
- Dodging the Snow