LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - During Black History Month, an African American woman in lafayette is celebrating 20 years of being in business.
Blooms and Petals was opened by Paula Eve Davis in 1999. She said she is the first African American female owned retail florist in the area and among the longest running African American businesses in the community.
"When I looked up and realized it had been twenty years and all the wonderful things that have happened, I was very blessed,” said Davis.
After graduating from Purdue, Davis helped form a minority business development organization. "One of the areas I felt lacking was representation among business owners as far as women and minorities were concerned,” said Davis. The organization helped lead Davis and others to pursue business ownership in the community.
Soon after, Blooms and Petals quickly sprouted to life. "My passion had always been flowers so my husband said to my, why don't you go for it? And I thought, really? And he said yes,” said Davis.
Since then, Davis hasn't looked back. It is now one of the longest running businesses, under the same ownership, in Lafayette. Ownership has had its fair share of challenges.
Davis said the people who come through her doors makes it all worth it. "I felt like this was a great community to develop a business in and there are good solid people who help support you,” said Davis.
With twenty years under her belt, Davis is optimistic heading into the future. "I definitely feel like I'll be in it for a good while longer,” said Davis.
A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held this Friday at 1:30 p.m. at the shop to celebrate the anniversary. It is located on 848 Main Street in downtown Lafayette. After the Ribbon Cutting event, the reception is being hosted at the Knickerbockers Saloon at 5 p.m.
- Blooms and Petals celebrating 20th anniversary this week
- Local couple celebrates milestone anniversary
- Benton Central celebrates 50th anniversary
- Wabash Center hosts 65th Anniversary Celebration
- Camp Sycamore Valley celebrates 70th anniversary
- Purdue preparing to celebrate 150th anniversary
- Purdue celebrates homecoming and its 150th anniversary
- My Gym Children's Fitness Center celebrates anniversary
- Tippecanoe County fair starts Saturday, July 20th
- Lafayette winery celebrates anniversary with mission to end homelessness