INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WLFI)— A family in Benton County is on the Featured Farmers list at the Indiana State Fair this year.
Maple Island Farms owner Brent Cox said the first time he heard the news from his wife, he couldn't believe they were chosen.
"She came home and kind of briefed me on it," said Brent. "I teased her that they must be low on farmers."
Natasha and Brent Cox met at Purdue University but have been involved in the agriculture industry all of their lives. From there, they decided to create a new life together in Benton County. The couple started Maple Island Farms where they produce corn, soybeans and wheat products.
"We promote agriculture, production and the safety and stewardship every day," said Brent. "It's just kind of neat to be honored and do it on the forefront."
Co-owner Natasha Cox said her family's lives are not solely dependent on the farm. Everyone involved also holds full-time jobs that add a unique twist to their business.
"Most farms in the United States are family farms and most people don't know that," said Natasha. "We know agriculture is not about the glitz and the glamour, it's about the work that is put into it for food safety, transparency and sustainability around the world."
For them, this is a family business they hope will continue to grow with their children.
"Going through the ups and the downs in the market, that's really what made this opportunity to be the featured farmer very very important to us."
This was the fourth year Corteva Agriscience hosted the Featured Farmers event. Farmers from different regions will showcase agriculture products throughout the seventeen day fair.
- Benton County family recognized at State Fair
- Tippecanoe County family recognized at state fair
- Purdue student, Miss Benton County wins Indiana State Fair Queen
- Benton county fair crowns champions at the beef show
- 4H girl and her goat aim to start a new family tradition at the Benton County Fair
- State fire marshal investigating Benton Co. fire
- Forbes Magazine recognizes Lafayette
- Travel Warning issued for Benton County
- Benton County launches Safe Place Program
- Benton County 15-year-old found safe