INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WLFI) — Benton Central's pursuit of a state championship in girls basketball ended Saturday at the right location, with the wrong outcome. The Lady Bison fell to Northwestern 61-39 in the class 3A state championship game in Indianapolis, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Northwestern star and Purdue recruit Madison Layden added 19 points and three assists, while Michigan State commit Kendall Bostic paced the Lady Tigers with 25 points and 15 rebounds.
Audrey Strawsma tallied 11 points and six rebounds for Benton Central, while senior Emma Fisher ended her career with a seven point, five rebound, four assist contest. Freshman guard Tressa Senesac also added nine points. The Lady Bison ended the year with a 26-5 record, and their first state runner-up finish since 2011, also David Baxter's first year as head coach at Benton Central.
This marks the second consecutive class 3A state title for Northwestern, who will join class 4A for the 2019-20 season. Kathie Layden's team finished the year with a 26-3 record, only one of those losses coming against an in-state foe, (North Central.) This marks Layden's fifth state championship in her coaching career, including three consecutive titles at Tri-Central from 2003-05.
- Layden, Bostic lead Northwestern past Benton Central en route to state title
- Central Catholic, Benton Central capture sectional titles
- Benton Central tops Salem, advances to state title game Saturday
- Blackhawk Christian cruises past Central Catholic, wins semi-state title
- HIGHLIGHTS: Benton Central wins girls basketball sectional title
- Benton Central, Harrison to meet in Hoops Classic title game
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic vs. Benton Central (BBB)
- McCutcheon baseball blanks Benton Central
- Benton Central celebrates 50th anniversary
- Central Catholic routs North Vermillion, captures regional title