LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)— A 17-year-old male was arrested Friday night in connection to shots being fired at the Tippecanoe Mall. Police said The 17 year old is being preliminarily charged with Criminal Recklessness and Intimidation.
Police also said this incident is not being investigated as an active shooter situation. They believe a confrontation between at least two people lead to the shots being fired outside of the mall in the parking lot. Police say they are no longer seeking any other involved individuals.
The investigation is still ongoing. Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Lafayette Police Department at 765-807-1200 or through the anonymous WeTIP Hotline at 800-78-CRIME.
Previous story below:
Lafayette police said a confrontation between at least two people led to shots being fired in the parking lot at the Tippecanoe Mall Friday night. According to the Lafayette Police Department, around 6 p.m. officers responded to a report of shots fired outside of the mall at the entrance between Macy’s and Kohl’s. Lafayette Police, West Lafayette Police, Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office and Indiana State Police responded.
According to Sgt. Brown with Lafayette Police, while no one was found with a gunshot wound, they did find multiple spent shell casings.
Police said one uninvolved female was injured as she ran from the shooting and dislocated her knee.
Officers located one suspect from the shooting inside the mall and took them into custody. They are continuing to look for other involved parties.
LPD said this is not being investigated as an active shooter situation and the current investigation points towards this being an isolated incident between individuals.
The mall remained opened and will operate under normal business hours.
- Arrest made in Tippecanoe Mall incident
- Arrest made in Tippecanoe County standoff situation
- Arrest made in Tippecanoe Arts Federation theft
- Purdue Crew rows in Tippecanoe County Mall
- Community reacts to Tippecanoe Mall shooting
- Arrest made in Tippecanoe County courthouse bomb threat
- Tippecanoe Mall is now a designated 'safe place'
- Teenager faces adult charges after shots fired at Tippecanoe Mall
- Tippecanoe Mall to close due to COVID-19 concerns
- Twelve people arrested for drug related incident