TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — An Indiana State Police Trooper has died in a single-vehicle crash on Old State Road 25 North.
Tippecanoe County Coroner Donna Avolt confirms the preliminary cause of death was caused by blunt trauma of the head. Peter "Bo" Stephan died 10:30 Friday evening while responding to a call in Americus. ISP said they are working to figure out what the responding call was.
Stephan's car veered off the road, rolled once and hit a utility pole. He died of the injuries he sustained during the crash.
The incident happened on Old State Road 25 near Stair Road.
First Sgt. Ron Galaviz said Stephan worked in Lafayette with ISP for four years and leaves behind a wife and a 6-month-old girl.
Nobody else was hurt in the crash.
Galaviz said they plan to honor Stephan.
This is an on-going investigation and we will update you as information becomes available.
The Indiana State Police was assisted at the scene by the Tippecanoe County Sheriff Department, White County Sheriff Department, Tippecanoe County EMS, Lafayette Fire Department, Buck Creek Fire Department, Tipmont REMC and troopers from neighboring Indiana State Police Districts.
Indiana State Police say an account has been established at the Old National Bank to help support Trooper Stephan's family. You can help the family by visiting an Old National Bank branch and donating to Indiana Fallen Heroes Foundation/Peter Stephan.
ISP requests no additional accounts be set up for fundraising efforts.
- Indiana State Police Trooper dies in Tippecanoe County crash
- Funeral Service for Indiana State Police Trooper Peter Stephan
- Washington state woman dies in crash on I-65 in Tippecanoe County
- Two hospitalized after crash in Tippecanoe County
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Tippecanoe County family recognized at state fair
- Trooper suffers minor injuries after Indiana toll road crash
- Married couple dead after crash involving Indiana trooper
- Charges expected after northern Indiana police dog dies in crash
- Indiana State Troopers preparing for first snowfall of the season