AVON, Ind. (WTTV) – Avon police arrested two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Al Unser, Jr. on an OWI charge, WTTV reports.
Unser was booked into the Hendricks County Jail at 3:21 a.m. on Monday.
Unser has been very vocal about his struggles with alcohol, and on May 9 he spoke with students at Hope Academy to share his story of addiction. He said drinking was a demon he faced, and he hopes others will learn from his mistakes.
He has previous drunk driving arrests in 2007 and 2011.
- Avon police arrest 2-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, Jr. on OWI charge
- Will Power wins first career Indy 500
- Ed Carpenter wins pole for Indy 500, again
- Greater Lafayette well represented at the Indy 500
- Simon Pagenaud wins Indy 500 on Penske’s golden anniversary
- Madam Carroll hosts its first Indy 500 viewing party
- OWI arrest made in Clinton Co. crash
- OWI arrest after rollover crash in West Lafayette
- Here's what happens when you're arrested for OWI in Lafayette
- Carroll County Sheriff: OWI arrest leads to marijuana bust