JASPER COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A woman is dead after she was hit while walking on Interstate 65. The crash led to the arrest of a Lafayette man, according to Indiana State Police.
It happened on I-65 south at the 204 mile marker. That's just one mile south of the Remington exit in Jasper County. According to police, Rahsul Valentine from Lafayette, was headed south when he said he hit something. Police said Valentine lost control, went off the roadway and down into a ditch.
Valentine said he thought he hit a deer, but police said he actually struck a woman. She was then thrown up into the passenger side windshield and came to rest on the inner shoulder.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by the Jasper County Coroner's Office. Valentine and his passenger were not injured.
Valentine was found to have three active warrants, and is now being held in the Jasper County Jail.
Toxicology results are pending. The female killed had no identification or belongings with her. The Jasper County Coroner plans to perform an autopsy Monday morning.
Anyone with any information is asked to call the Jasper County Coroner's Chief Deputy
- Woman killed while walking along I-65
- Coroner looking for family of woman killed while walking on I-65
- Northbound I-65 back open
- Man arrested after I-65 crash
- Additional lane coming to I-65
- I-65 reopens after semi rollovers
- Road Closure: I-65 southbound lane
- Woman found dead along southern I-65; help sought identifying her
- Police identify woman found dead along I-65 in Indiana
- Police: Woman hospitalized after getting shot on I-65