TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) – Alain Powell Junior, 27, was sentenced to 32 years for each of his two attempted murder convictions.
Circuit Court Judge Sean Persin ordered all 64 years to be executed in the Indiana Department of Corrections.
A Tippecanoe County jury recently convicted Powell on eight counts. Two of which, were attempted murder. Prosecutors said Powell shot at a car five times near Brice and 24th Streets. One person was shot twice. The other was injured from glass.
Before Powell learned his sentence Monday, he apologized and said quote, "I feel terrible about what happened."
He blamed his crimes on hard drugs but said he was getting his life back on track.
However, after he learned his sentence, he screamed obscenities while leaving the courtroom.
"What I think what happened is Mr. Powell heard the 64 years and after that, everything kind of went a blur," said Powell's attorney Thomas F. Little. "You hear that big of a sentence and you hear that many years, when you're anticipating maybe 40 might be the most. I think he really couldn't understand from that point time on what the judge was really trying to tell him."
Little plans to reiterate the judge's comments about a potential modification for good behavior to Powell at a later date.
Judge Persin said Powell's criminal history was an aggravator. Persin also said the fact he had multiple victims and ended up successfully shooting one was also a factor.
However, he did name Powell's children and substance abuse issues mitigators.
- Attempted murderer gets 64 years in prison
- Man gets 40 years for attempted murder
- Teen gets 64 years for fatal shooting of Indiana woman
- WL man charged with attempted murder sentenced to 30 years
- Attempted murder defendant almost represents himself
- Shot fired at cop leads to attempted murder charge
- Loren Gary found guilty on all counts including attempted murder
- Loren Gary sentenced for attempted murder of deputy
- Indiana man convicted of attempted murder in explosives case
- Frankfort woman gets 45 year murder sentence