TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) – Loren Gary, 46, was set on representing himself but changed his mind Tuesday before his jury selection got underway.
Public defender Pat Manahan was put on standby 10 days ago, in case Gary ended up choosing representation.
Manahan told News 18 he feels ready for trial.
Potential jurors crowded Tippecanoe Circuit Court Tuesday afternoon. None of them said they knew anything about the case before today.
They were asked about potential bias toward law enforcement.
Court documents say at around 10:30 p.m. on Nov. 4, police were sent to Concho Court just south of the Lafayette city limits on a report of a man threatening to shoot his nephew, identified as Jeramy Deboise.
Upon arrival, the officer saw a man standing in the driveway behind two vehicles.
While exiting his patrol car, the officer ordered the man, identified as Loren David Gary, to show his hands.
As the deputy was exiting his vehicle, Gary fired a gun in his direction, hitting the front bumper. The officer took cover behind his car and pointed his weapon at Gary, at which time Gary dropped his handgun.
Officers then arrived at the scene and detained Gary. Police later determined that Gary's gun had jammed after the first round was fired, preventing any further shots.
Deboise was able to flee to a neighbor's house before the officer arrived. He said that Gary had called his mother and told her he was planning on shooting him. That's when she warned Deboise.
Gary has been charged with attempted murder, attempted battery by means of a deadly weapon, two counts of intimidation, pointing a firearm, and criminal recklessness. An additional "use of firearm" enhancement was also included with the charges, allowing for a longer sentence if Gary is convicted.
Opening statements will begin Wednesday.
News 18 will be there throughout the trial and bring you the latest.
- Attempted murder defendant almost represents himself
- Court: 'Making a Murderer' defendant's confession stands
- Man gets 40 years for attempted murder
- Attempted murderer gets 64 years in prison
- Jail inmate found guilty of attempted murder
- Jail inmate sentenced for attempted murder
- Man arrested facing attempted murder charge
- Lafayette man found guilty of attempted murder
- Lafayette man sentenced for attempted murder
- Shot fired at cop leads to attempted murder charge