WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — After leading the Purdue volleyball team to an undefeated opening weekend and the Reamer Club Premier title, senior Sherridan Atkinson was named the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, the league announced on Monday. Atkinson helped push the Boilermakers to wins over Wofford (3-0), Bowling Green (3-0) and Tulsa (3-0).
The right side hitter from Long Beach, Calif., was essential in the Purdue attack as she averaged a team-best 5.11 kills per set and .409 hitting percentage on the weekend. The senior finished with 46 kills, 16 digs, six service aces and four blocks over three matches, including match-high kills in victories over Wofford and Tulsa.
Against the Terriers, Atkinson recorded her first career double-double with 17 kills and 10 digs, while contributing 18 of Purdue's 49 kills against Tulsa. The veteran was also named the tournament's most valuable player.
The honor is Atkinson's second career conference player of the week accolade after collecting the honor last November.
Also on Monday, Purdue checked in at No.20 in this week's AVCA Top 25 poll. The Boilermakers were previously listed at No.23 on the AVCA's preseason poll.
Purdue continues nonconference play at 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 1 when the Boilermakers host Oakland at Holloway Gymnasium. Purdue will then host Notre Dame at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 28.
- Purdue's Atkinson Big Ten Co-Player of the Week
- Purdue's Atkinson unanimously earns preseason All-Big Ten honors
- Purdue's Atkinson named national player of the week
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Purdue's McGowan named Big Ten Player of Week (Baseball)
- Purdue's Nick Delesandro named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Six Purdue baseball players named All-Big Ten
- Isaac Haas named Big Ten Player of the Week
- Vincent Edwards named Big Ten Player of Week
- David Blough named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week