LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—An Arconic employee has been airlifted after a chemical spill. Lafayette police say the person was burned by lithium while on the job.
The Lafayette Fire Department was dispatched to the plant just before 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Police told News 18 many employees performed first aid on the victim before responders arrived.
LFD took the injured employee to IU Arnett hospital, where they were airlifted to an Indianapolis hospital for burn treatment.
Their injuries are not life threatening.
News 18 reached out to Arconic, the company replied with this statement: "We offer our colleague and his family our support during this difficult time."
This comes about one month after an Arconic employee was injured in October. The man's condition was not released. News 18 continues to work with Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration to learn more information.
This story will be updated.