Photo Gallery 4 Images
After what was a milder day today across Greater Lafayette (we even reached 18° in Lafayette, ending our streak of sub-ten temperatures at four days), today’s passing cold front means that bitterly cold arctic air is already returning to the region.
The National Weather Service has already issued a Wind Chill Advisory for much of the viewing area ahead of tonight’s temperatures below 0°. The Advisory, which goes into effect at 2:00 A.M. ET Thursday, will last through 11:00 A.M. ET tomorrow. Wind chill values during the period in question may fall as low as -20° at times!
The added sunshine tomorrow morning and afternoon aren’t expected to help drive temperatures any higher than the single digits for many of us Thursday. Tomorrow morning’s low of -4° will put us in enough of a deficit in which the mercury simple won’t rebound; expect a high of 7° Thursday!
Unfortunately, the combination of higher pressure to our west and the massive winter storm climbing its way up the Eastern Seaboard will maintain our west northwesterly wind flow for the better part of the next 72 hours. It will be Saturday afternoon before we see 10° or higher here in Lafayette!
While wind chills over the next three nights could fall as low as -25° or -30° in spots, there is a brief warmup instore for the region late this weekend. I’m watching an anticipated low that is currently expected to drive temperatures to their highest point in two weeks! That warmth however comes with a side of wintry mixture and snowfall.
- Another Bitter Blast of Brutal Cold
- Christmas brings Northeast blizzard, bitter cold in Midwest
- Bitter cold expected until New Year in US Midwest, Northeast
- Bitter cold temperatures wreak havoc all over Greater Lafayette
- Building and home owners prepare their properties during cold blast
- Energy assistance available for low-income families across Indiana amid brutal cold
- January 12-13, 2018 Winter Storm Summary & Proceeding Bitter Cold, Fog & Hoar Frost
- Bitter temperatures with a chance for snow
- More snow and bitter temperatures this weekend
- Snow today with bitter temperatures on the way