BENTON COUNTY, Ind. -- Several fire agencies were called to a leak of anhydrous ammonia in rural Benton County.
First responders say a 1,000-gallon tank near 500 East and 200 South started leaking around 5:30 p.m., causing a cloud.
The cloud was carried southward across State Road 352 by the wind. That road was closed for a six- mile stretch between Oxford and Boswell until about 7:40 p.m.
The intersection where the leak was reported remains closed.
Anhydrous ammonia is a flammable chemical used in fertilizer. It's rated 3 on a scale of 0 to 4 for health hazard.
First responders on scene said no one in the nearby homes had to be evacuated, and there is no current threat to the public.
This was the second anhydrous ammonia link in the News 18 viewing area today. The Reynolds Co-Alliance Facility in White county also reported a leak around 1:15 p.m.
One Reynolds home directly south of the facility was evacuated and U-S 421 was closed while crews removed the damaged tank.