WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — As many took their final steps through Hovde Hall as students Friday, one of their fellow classmates received his degree from a distance.
Officials from Purdue University came up with a creative way for Drew Feustel to be awarded his honorary degree. Drew's wife Indira explained the experience.
"I don't think it's every day that there's an honorary doctorate getting his honorary degree from space," said Feustel.
It was a phenomenon some students like William Pierce didn't see coming.
"I think that will be a fun time, something that will be interesting to see. I didn't foresee it, but it will be fun," said Pierce.
As for the Feustel family, being back on campus only adds to the experience.
"And for Drew to be getting his honorary doctorate from our school, it's special," said Feustel.
Many students participating in commencement took the traditional 4-year route, but Feustel's was different. His wife Indira hopes his journey is an inspiration to those who will be at the ceremony.
"Community college and then Purdue, so you know anyone can do whatever they want. I mean, they just have to dream big and follow their dreams and who knows where it will take them," said Feustel.
"Look up, we are so, think about all the screens we're on right now we're always looking down but there's so much beauty and creativity and inspiration when you look up."
In the end, Feustel is like so many other Boilermakers who have come before and after him.
"I know Drew and he would love to be here with all of us, and then go to Harry's afterwards, that's hands down."
Feustel is part of a long line of Purdue astronauts who have been to space. He was joined by colleague and fellow Boilermaker Scott Tingle while receiving his degree from space.
You can follow the Feustel family adventures on social media.
- Purdue graduate receives an out-of-this-world degree
- Astronaut to receive honorary degree from Purdue
- Purdue offers flight degree in three years
- Purdue trustees approve name changes, new degree program
- Purdue University Global Introduces New Cloud Computing Degree Program
- Local man balances retirement, graduation from Purdue
- Purdue Graduate Launches to Space Wednesday
- Purdue professor sets world record
- Purdue University student receives prestigious scholarship
- Purdue's Kaplan deal receives HLC approval