LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A Lafayette parent is sharing her feelings about sexual misconduct allegations against her child's former teacher. Joe Kimerer was arrested at his home on Friday and faces 13 felony charges of sexual misbehavior against children.
It's every parent's nightmare but for Earhart Elementary School parent Martha Hall, it has become a reality. "We send our kids off to school every single day and we feel like that's the most protected bubble they will be in for the next eight hours or so. I didn't want to believe it," said Hall. "I'm speechless really. I don't know what to say about this."
Fourth-grade teacher Joe Kimerer is accused of telling his victims how to look up pornography on a cell phone.
He also asked boys, between the ages of 12 and 13, to send him pictures of their genitalia. One of the alleged incidents took place in the school's teacher's lounge.
The allegations sicken Hall, whose daughter is one of Kimerer's former students.
Hall said, "She's always said he was a good teacher. I would have never guessed something like this to happen."
Now that Kimerer is behind bars, Hall says she wishes she could have known what was going on sooner.
"I probably wouldn't even know what was going on if I didn't have certain friends that have told me," said Hall.
Lafayette School Corporation Superintendent Les Huddle says the school was informed on Feb. 27 after victims' parents went to police. That same day, he says Kimerer was removed from the classroom and school property assigned to his home.
"We feel like the whole school corporation has been violated if these accusations are found to be factual," said Huddle.
But Huddle says that information was not the school corporation's to share.
"I don't think the school corporation should be putting details of the accusations out there when it was not our investigation," said Huddle.
LSC sent a letter to parents Friday explaining what happened. Hall says her sense of safety and security will never be the same.
"Our children are more to us than money, than treasure, than luxury, than cars, than houses. That's something that we'll never get back," said Hall.
Huddle says the corporation is in the process of terminating Kimerer.
"We feel like the whole school corporation has been violated if these accusations are found to be factual."
- An Earhart parent reacts to teacher's arrest
- Earhart teacher arrested for alleged child exploitation
- Fired Earhart teacher faces two more charges
- Earhart teacher arrested for alleged child exploitation out on bond
- Prosecutors request to get accused Earhart teacher back in jail
- Arrested Amelia Earhart teacher still in the process of being terminated
- Amelia Earhart Elementary staff member under investigation
- Former Earhart Elementary teacher accused of child sex crimes in court Tuesday
- Earhart Elementary backpack program in need of donations
- Haunted Lafayette: Amelia Earhart and Hangar Number One