LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Amtrak's Hoosier State line from Indianapolis to Chicago may not continue after July 1. The company suspended ticket sales after June 30th.
State funding for the route isn't in the budget right now but customers like Victoria Woeste hope that changes.
"For me, it's been an honest to goodness life saver," said Woeste.
She said the Hoosier State line saves money on her commute to Chicago each week for work.
"Parking anywhere in Chicago for two hours is going to cost you as much as a one way train ticket," said Woeste.
She doesn't understand why the state doesn't have the Hoosier State line in the current budget proposals.
"It's a drop in the bucket of the overall budget of the state," said Woeste. "Three million dollars per year for two years, that's what we are talking about."
The route doesn't just help out people in the Tippecanoe County area, it goes from Indianapolis to Chicago.
"There should absolutely be more than just I-65 connecting those two cities," said Woeste.
State Representative Chris Campbell agrees. That's why she proposed an amendment to add the funding into the budget but failed.
"When it comes to public transportation options, we are getting less and less," said Rep. Campbell. "We can't continue to just pour money into our roads that continue to become just overcrowded."
Woeste said she's been telling people to call the Governor to get the funding back. However, she hasn't had much luck doing that herself.
"It will be a real loss to me personally," said Woeste.
Without it, she's going to take the train one way and catch an airport shuttle back.
"Which is a heck of a lot less convenient and frankly, not nearly as comfortable," said Woeste. "And it's also like three times as expensive."
There's still a chance Hoosier State line funding could be added to the budget this session.
Campbell and Woeste said if you want it, you should call your state legislator and the Governor's Office before it's too late.
- Amtrak suspends Hoosier State line tickets
- Amtrak closes Hoosier State Trains
- Hoosier State Amtrak line in jeopardy of losing state funding
- Hoosier State Line Train to close
- Transportation options for Hoosier State Line riders
- Local legislators fighting for Hoosier State Rail Line
- Hoosiers plan one final push to save the Hoosier State Line
- Holcomb's budget proposal would end Amtrak line subsidy
- State House of Representatives votes 'no' to save funding for Hoosier State Rail Line
- State Sen. Alting to issue amendment that would save Hoosier State Rail Line