INDIANA (WLFI) — The American Red Cross needs your help with an "O" so urgent need. The organization is reporting a statewide blood donation shortage.
Right now, the Red Cross has a less than 3-day supply of type O blood.
It can be given to patients with any blood type and is what hospital staff reach for during emergencies.
However, the Red Cross is in urgent need of all blood types, especially during flu season.
"People might be delaying their donations until later because of being ill," said Rodney Wilson with the American Red Cross. "So, we need more people who are healthy to be giving now."
Rodney Wilson says the cold weather isn't helping the shortage.
"This is a time of year when donations decline across the country," said Wilson. "Particularly when it's cold out and everybody wants to stay home and stay home, we still need people to be willing to travel to donate blood."
A list of upcoming blood drives are listed below:
- Jan. 22 - Noon to 5:30 p.m., Fowler United Methodist Church, 908 E. 12th Street, Fowler
- Feb. 13 - 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Flora United Methodist Church, 107 E. Main St., Flora
- Jan. 22 - 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Ivy Tech Community College, 1 Ivy Tech Way, Logansport
- Jan. 30 - Noon to 6 p.m., McHale Complex, 1212 Riverside Drive, Logansport
- Jan. 24 - Noon to 6 p.m., Clinton Prairie High School, 2400 South County Road 450 West, Frankfort
- Feb. 7 - 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., IU Health Frankfort, 1300 South Jackson Street, Frankfort
- Jan. 22 - 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Faith Church, 5572 Mercy Way, Lafayette
- Jan. 23 - Noon to 5 p.m., Purdue University Centennial Mall, 400 Centennial Mall Drive
- Jan. 28 - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Purdue University Schleman Hall, 475 Stadium Mall Drive
- Feb. 4 - 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Purdue University Centennial Mall, 400 Centennial Mall Drive
- Feb. 11 - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Purdue University Krach Leadership Center, 1198 3rd Street
- Feb. 12 - 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Purdue University Forney Hall of Chemical Engineering, 480 Stadium Mall Drive
- Feb. 14 - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Purdue University, 128 Memorial Mall
- Feb. 13 - Noon to 6 p.m., Zion Bethel Family Center, 415 S Third St., Monticello