LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Vietnam War Veterans were welcomed home Saturday as a part of an American Legion Celebration.
Veterans from the the Greater Lafayette Area took part in a motorcycle ride that ended at Colombian Park. The ride culminated in a celebration that featured several guest speakers.
Mayors John Dennis and Tony Roswarski each spoke, while Senator Joe Donnelly also thanked the veterans. Bill Fitzgibbons said this a great way to give these war veterans a proper welcome.
"Vietnam Vets were not welcomed when they came home, and now we're losing them at quite a rate, and as a result we just felt incumbant upon us to say look you guys are welcome home, and so that's what this event is all about," said Fitzgibbons.
Saturday's celebration was just one of thousands across the country honoring Vietnam War veterans.
- American Legion welcomes home Vietnam Veterans
- 50th Anniversary 'Welcome Home' luncheon held for Vietnam-Era veterans
- Vietnam veterans honored with special ceremony
- Donations needed to host free luncheon for Vietnam veterans
- 207 American flags honor Indiana veterans
- Veterans' Home honors those who have served
- Bed bugs found at Veterans Home
- Water main break reported at Veterans Home
- Volunteers plant trees at Indiana Veterans' Home
- Ice carvers welcome winter weather