LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Almost Home Humane Society had one of its furnaces quit working three days after Christmas leaving a section of animals in the cold.
The furnace quit in the stray dog section of the shelter. The dogs in that section were moved to another part of the building.
On Thursday the shelter sent out a request on social media and through emails asking for donations to replace the furnace. Within three hours of posting the request, donations from the community exceeded the $2,500 dollars needed to replace the furnace.
Three local companies also volunteered to donate a new furnace, labor and other supplies to the shelter.
Almost Home employees said they were in awe.
"To ask for $2500 and have our community hit that in three hours, it just blew our minds. It really showed the heart that this community has for pets," said Justin Henry, the marketing and development director for Almost Home.
Donations have since passed the $4,500 mark.
All the extra money will go towards feeding the animals and medical care.
"We, in fact, had one anonymous gentleman walk in, hand me $500 cash and walk out the door, refusing to tell me even who he was. It's just a wonderful way to end the year for us,” said Henry.
Because the furnace went out in the stray dog section of the facility, Almost Home is having an adoption special. Adoption fees on all dogs will be waived with goodwill donations to the shelter.
The special runs from Friday through the weekend.
- Almost Home Humane Society taking donations, offering adoption special after furnace quits
- Overcrowding at Almost Home Humane Society
- Almost Home Humane Society is Striking out Suffering
- Almost Home Humane Society hires new Executive Director
- Fireworks set off in Almost Home Humane Society parking lot
- Almost Home reaches out to community for help with broken furnace
- Almost Home Humane Society spaying and neutering for free to 'Beat the Heat'
- Almost Home Humane Society close to hiring a new executive director
- A little bad luck, a lot of generosity for Almost Home Humane Society
- Bowling event helps humane society 'strike out suffering'