WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—The African Children's Choir is here in West Lafayette.
The bus arrived at the Federated Church around 2pm Saturday.
The choir performed on the Federated Church's stage at 7pm.
The group just performed in Logansport on Thursday as apart of their midwest tour.
African Children's Choir has traveled all the way from Uganda. Their goal is to promote joy and happiness.
They will not only perform hymns but they'll also dance and play musical instruments.
Tour Leader, Jade Powers said she hopes people walk away with a deep message.
"I really hope that they are able to latch into the perspective that the children have," said Powers. "And leave with a renewed sense of joy and hope that their lives are encouraged when they leave here. As well as just seeing the dignity and potential of Africa."
African Children's Choir was started 35 years ago, in 1984 by Ray Barnett. A man who was doing relief work in Uganda.
He was inspired by a young boy who despite the challenges Africa faced, he sang with joy and happiness. Barnett realized there's more to Africa than poverty, starvation, injustice, disease, and violence. There was a positive take away on life that many in Africans have. Barnett wanted to share that. The choir has since been traveling on tour across the U.S.
The children aren't just traveling to sing. They're also traveling to learn. While learning about American culture, Barnett created schools for these children further their education.
Once they are done touring they go back home to a boarding school by name of African Children's Choir Primary Boarding School.
To learn more about founder Ray Barnett and the African Children's Choir click here.
- African Children's Choir set to perform in West Lafayette
- African Children's Choir performing in Logansport.
- Lafayette Jefferson high school host xtreme choir show down
- Lafayette Citizens Band performs Memorial Day celebration
- Jeff High School choir wins state
- World's first malaria vaccine to go to 360,000 African children
- Construction on West Lafayette landmark set to begin soon
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history