TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - There's now an additional lane in each direction on a stretch of I-65 in Tippecanoe County. It comes after three years of construction.
"The road is used by so many people every day," said Mark Hamilton, a driver. "It's going to be great."
After years of headaches, traffic and detours, there's now an added travel lane in each direction. They stretch from the State Road 38 exit to the State Road 25 exit.
"It opens up the opportunity for a lot more traffic to flow freely and smoothly," said Hamilton.
The Indiana Department of Transportation's project started in spring of 2015 and just finished Monday.
"I think it's made it way easier to get around and get to work in the morning and things like that," said Ben Reagan, another driver.
The project was part of an $82 million contract and it was developed by Walsh Construction. The project also includes construction of four noise walls, as well as widening the S.R. 25, S.R. 26 and the Wildcat Creek Bridges.
"Before they opened it up, it was little miserable," said Hamilton. "You would almost try to find a different route to get through this particular part of the highway, but now it's a different thing all together."
Contractors will continue clean-up activities over the next couple of months. This week, they will be painting and sealing the road. However, it won't cause any lanes closures.
Indiana State Police are also patrolling the area heavily now that the lanes have opened. Troopers have stopped about 35 vehicles, mostly for speeding. There were 17 warnings for various traffic violations.
- I-65 lanes open after years of construction
- Additional lane coming to I-65
- Additional lanes open up on I-65 after 3 years of construction
- Road Closure: I-65 southbound lane
- I-65 northbound down to one lane during construction
- Northbound I-65 back open
- Update: all lanes open after crash on I-65 forces closure
- UPDATE: Southbound lanes of I-65 are now open
- I-65 construction continues in Clinton County
- Overnight lane closures will impact I-65 drivers