TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — The Area Plan Commission approved a ban on industrial wind farms in Tippecanoe County, Wednesday. The ordinance change will now go before county commissioners in May.
Several community members shared opinions both for and against the amendment.Those for it say banning that kind of development allows the county grow.
People on the other side believe adding that language to the ordinance gives the impression the county isn't concerned about sustainable energy.
APC President Tom Murtaugh said the ordinance committee was not making a referendum on green energy.
"We feel it would be irresponsible to tie up, up to 40,000 acres of Tippecanoe County ground for up to five decades," said Murtaugh.
As News 18 previously reported, this ordinance doesn't ban landowners from putting in wind turbines, it just bans industrial wind farms.
- APC passes ordinance banning large wind energy conversion systems
- Tippecanoe County updates ordinance to ban industrial wind farms
- APC Approves Subdivision in Dayton
- APC tables Dayton annexation re-zone
- Sallie Fahey celebrates 45 years with APC
- Approved subdivision brings controversy to APC
- Scooter ordinance officially passes in West Lafayette
- Wind farm ban in Tippecanoe County
- Subdivision request for low-income apartments continued by APC
- APC moves low-income housing complex proposal forward