LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A sweet treat is coming to White County.
Sweetener Supply Corporation is set to build in spring 0f 2020 and finish construction by 2022.
"We will manufacture powdered cellulose there and also does baked foods and pet foods," says Joe Gardella, President of Sweetener.
The company has been making sweet ingredients for almost thirty years. Such as honey, brown sugar and corn syrup.
"We looked at several states and White County came with the best offer and logistically made the most sense for our company and customers," said Gardella.
They will build on 15 acres just West of Wolcott in an industrial lot.
"We also will employ approximately thirty people over a timeline once we get the facility up and rebuilt," added Gardella.
White County Commission President John Heimlich says this will greatly help the economy.
"With the economy right now everybody is hurt for employees and the big projects for 200 or 300 employees can become a problem, but thirty is a good number," said Heimlich.
Sweetener Supply is currently located in Chicago and decided to relocate to Wolcott after their lease ended.
"So we started looking about five years ago and Wolcott became a serious contender two years ago and it's been a two-year negotiation between several parties to get the deal done," added Gardella.
Gardella says a big contributor in moving to White County was the location near I-65, rail service and convenience for their employees.
"We're very fortunate and happy to be here and thank the community and the residents for their support," said Gardella.
- A "sweet" new business is set to open in Wolcott
- Wolcott Holds 50th Summer Festival
- Police use drone to find wanted Wolcott man in cornfield
- Wolcott teachers and students walk for public school funding
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Hopes are high in Wolcott for Tri-County
- WL mayor is putting "sweet" in Sweet 16
- Purdue students excited for NCAA Sweet 16
- Three women-owned businesses open in Dayton
- State Street set to open Thursday
- Purdue baseball set for home-opener