LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A new recovery program is coming to Lafayette, Indiana and it's meant to help teenagers in the community.
The new program is called Transforming Adolescents and Families in Indiana (TAFI). It's dedicated to bringing recovery and healing to those who are impacted by substance abuse.
TAFI hasn't started yet, but the group is hosting an event at Grace United Methodist Church Saturday. There will be a free showing of the film called 'Generation Found.' It's about a community coming together to start a youth addiction recovery revolution.
Before the viewing, there will be a short information session about the new recovery program. The sessions are expected to happen on Thursdays, but the hope is to transform into nightly sessions. Program Director Jason Padgett said this program is the first of it's kind in the state.
"This is an incredible wrap around service that helps them create a new peer group and learn how to live life and have relationships without the use of drugs and alcohol," said Padgett. He added hopefully this, "prevents them from taking that next step into the opioids and bigger problems in life."
Transforming Adolescents and Families is designed for 14 through 18-year-olds. The event on Saturday is free and open to the public and will start at the church at 6 p.m.
Padgett said he is waiting for at least five teens to sign up so he can start the recovery sessions. His mission is to have at least 10.
"I think that if we're going to get ahead of this opioid epidemic, it's going to have to start with the younger generation," Padgett said. "We're going to have to teach them how to have the life skills and the recovery capital to live life and enjoy life and realize their dreams without using alcohol or any other drug."
- A new recovery program is helping teens impacted by substance abuse
- Anderson Police offices evacuated after substance exposure
- Tyson Foods and Logansport Memorial Hospital to fight substance abuse in Cass County
- First recovery coach training helps prepare locals to fight addiction
- Program helps families impacted by the death of a loved one
- SAFE2TALK teen texting program looks to expand
- Tippecanoe Co. Substance Use and Disorder Symposium registration deadline
- West Lafayette Sgt. Aron Thompson's recovery
- Students help Special Olympics athletes in May Impact Project
- A new organization hopes to help increase peer recovery coaches in Tippecanoe County