WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A new bulletproof vest carrier for police officers is on the market. Sgt. Travis Neal said there are a lot of bulletproof vests on the market, but they're worn under the uniform.
The vest he created through his business Focus Tactical Design, with the help of Purdue Foundry is worn over the uniform. He said the way the vest looked was surprisingly one of the most important parts.
"The concept of load carriage is not really novel, the military has been doing it for years, it's hard to get it into the police arena just because of how it looks," said Neal.
He said another major interest in the project was comfortability for officers. "I was seeing a few of my supervisors and stuff that were starting to retire and they were just complaining of constant knee or back pain or whatever it was and I thought man I don't want that to be me," said Neal.
The vest has two pockets that can hold things like pens, notebooks or cellphones. Additional pockets are on the inside for handcuffs, flashlights and rifle magazines, which gives officers a little more freedom.
"I don't know two police officers that run all of their gear in the exact same way which is another reason I wanted to do this was that guys have options, officers have options to change things if they don't like something that's in a certain spot they just pop it off and move it," said Neal.
The vest is on the market and officers are already wearing them in our area. Vests can be purchased by clicking this link.
- A new bulletproof vest carrier for police officers on the market.
- 2 LPD K-9 units to receive bulletproof vests
- CNN's Anderson Cooper donates bulletproof vest to WLPD K-9
- Layoffs continue at Carrier
- Clinton Co. K9 officer gets new protective vest
- Lafayette K-9 will receive new vest
- Letter carriers delivering more than just mail
- Two K-9s with LPD get new protective vests
- Former Indiana mail carrier charged for not delivering mail
- Indiana governor ordered to turn over Carrier email exchange