LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Almost Home Humane Society was able to replace a broken furnace. In fact, they are also able to make additional repairs and add to the injured animal fund with the donations. All this comes as cold temperatures continue and six kittens were found outside.
Just last week, a section for dogs at the Almost Home Humane Society was empty.
It is once again filled with dogs looking for their forever home. The shelter has a little more help taking care of them now, after a little bad luck turned into a lot of generosity.
As News 18 reported, a furnace needed to be replaced.
"The quote that we were told to meet to try and get our furnace replaced and installed was $2,500," said Justin Henry, Marketing and Development Manager.
The humane society was able to raise more than $8,000.
"The excess funds that we've raised, we're going to put some into the funds for these other problems that we didn't know we had and then the rest is going to go into our injured animal fund," said Henry.
While the dogs will now stay warm, so will six kittens.
"A concerned citizen happened to see a crate and heard meowing, she saw it, picked it up and brought it here," said Henry.
The kittens, along with two adult cats, were found abandoned in the cold in Lafayette. The staff at the humane society was busy examining the kittens Tuesday afternoon.
They have a reminder for all pet owners during these bitterly cold days.
"It looks like everybody is okay, so they couldn't have been outside for too long," said Henry. "Again, when temperatures were where they were -15, if you don't feel like you could be outside for five minutes, your pet shouldn't be either."
To continue building the injured animal fund, the humane society will once again host its annual bowl-a-thon. Strike-Out-Suffering will take place on March 3.
- A little bad luck, a lot of generosity for Almost Home Humane Society
- Overcrowding at Almost Home Humane Society
- Almost Home Humane Society is Striking out Suffering
- Almost Home Humane Society hires new Executive Director
- Gifts, grins and generosity ready for Shop with a Mayor
- Almost Home Humane Society taking donations, offering adoption special after furnace quits
- Almost Home Humane Society spaying and neutering for free to 'Beat the Heat'
- Almost Home Humane Society close to hiring a new executive director
- Bowling event helps humane society 'strike out suffering'
- McCutcheon H.S. class makes new drain covers for humane society