WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-A grease fire broke out at an apartment along northern Sagamore Parkway. Thankfully, no one was hurt during the blaze. The fire occurred in a second-floor apartment at Scholar Place. Firefighters arrived to find smoke billowing out of the window. Most of the damage was isolated to the single apartment. This allowed some people to return to their apartment once it was over. Wabash Township Fire Deputy Chief Jim Lewis says the room is still structurally sound.
He also says the fire was quickly dealt with thanks to the help they received from the West Lafayette Department.
"We had West Lafayette Fire come out to assist us in order to make sure that we have everything we need," said Chief Lewis. "We need a little help from our friends every once in a while."
Lewis says now they're taking out cellulose insulation from the apartment. This is to avoid the fire being rekindled by any lingering embers.
"We used less than three thousand gallons of water on the fire so there wasn't a lot of residual water in the apartment," said Chief Lewis.