TIPPECANOE, Ind. (WLFI) -- A Lafayette teen is dead after a single-vehicle crash in Tippecanoe County Saturday evening.
Tippecanoe County Sheriff's deputies said 17-year-old Cole Ungaro was traveling east on 100 North near 900 East around 5:30 p.m. when his car slid off the right side of the road. That's in the far eastern part of the county.
According to deputies, Ungaro lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree from the driver's side. He was declared dead on the scene. Police said it's still unknown why he lost control but speed may be a contributing factor. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be a factor.
Ungaro was a senior at Faith Christian School. Police said the school will have counselors on hand on Monday, Nov. 19 to assist students during this difficult situation.
Ungaro was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash.
He was a member of the boys soccer team. Ungaro was the goalie for the Faith Christian squad that just won the sectional championship in the fall. His father is the coach of the girl's team.
- Lafayette teen dies in single-vehicle crash
- Man dies in single-vehicle crash after hitting a tree
- Newton County man dies in single-vehicle crash
- Crash overturns vehicle in West Lafayette
- Runaway Lafayette teens found
- Kokomo teen dies in Miami Co. crash
- Suspect in custody after teen dies in Lafayette homicide
- 1 dead and 1 injured in Tippecanoe County single-vehicle crash
- Lafayette teen charged with murder
- Shambaugh's walk-off single lifts McCutcheon over Lafayette Jeff