LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A late-night garage fire in Lafayette shut a road down. Police said the fire was in a neighborhood in between Teal Road and Beck Lane across the street from Edgelea Elementary school.
The fire happened around 9:30 p.m. Lafayette police sent an email that said a fire had closed Meadow Drive from Beck Lane to Audobon Road.
The Lafayette Fire Department's on-call Battalion Chief said the fire is currently under investigation and it started in a detached garage.
It was the garage next door to Marcie Duffin. She wants to thank the good Samaritan who came to her door and let her know the garage was on fire. It gave her family time to pack up in the car and pull away from the flames.
"My husband was watching a lot more closely," said Duffin. "I was in the car with our daughter and the dog to keep everybody calm, but I could see the flames going above our roof. They did hose down our house just to be safe."
Duffin said this was a learning experience.
"I suddenly was looking for a leash and couldn't find it and looking for things that in an emergency I'd want to take with me," Duffin said. "I had no idea of what to grab. It was pretty scary."
We will continue to look into this investigation and bring you the latest.
- A Lafayette road is back open after an overnight fire
- Shots fired outside Lafayette bar overnight
- Klondike Road back open after gas leak
- West Lafayette welcomes back refurbished fire truck
- Lafayette police investigating 2 overnight stabbings
- Northbound I-65 back open
- Lafayette Jefferson graduate gives back
- Jackson Highway back open after structure fire
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- State Road 28 is back open after two semis crash