LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI) — Lafayette Police dispatcher Antonia Bundy received a 911 call expecting an emergency but found herself in a very different position. A young child called in to receive help on a math problem.
''When he told me he was having a bad day I asked him what was troubling him," said Bundy. "He told me that he had homework and at that point I was able to determine that it was more of an, I need help with homework, than an actual emergency. I was very thankful I was able to take the time to assist him," said Bundy.
The child had an emergency. It was to get help solving his math problem.
''I've always been good at math all the way through high school," said Bundy. "I enjoyed it, so it was something I was very happy I could help him with," said Bundy.
Antonia was a math whiz herself back in high school. So when the child asked her a math question, she had no problem helping him to figure out the answer.
''It kind of takes the pressure off of it a little bit," said Bundy. "Not too much, but just a little bit to be able to relax to take a step back and truly figure out what he needed and truly spend time with him and assist him in the best way I could. It kind of made me relax a little bit to hear that he just needed some help with fractions,” said Bundy.
Both the child and Antonia were able to hang up the phone with a smile.
''I hope that he's happy," said Bundy. "I hope I gave him the right answer. I think I did, so I hope that he's happy and knows that if he needs anything that 911 is truly there to help him."
- 911 dispatcher helps Lafayette child with math problem
- Computer problems delay 911 dispatches in Indiana
- A 911 supervisor was streaming Netflix at work when dispatchers mishandled a shooting call
- Scientists say bees can do basic math
- Lafayette Police Department addresses "illegal" 911 call complaint
- Purdue dispatches Purdue Fort Wayne 11-2
- City of Lafayette going to fix downtown flooding problem it helped create
- Quick storm deluge causes flooding problems in West Lafayette
- Lafayette child molestor gets 42 years
- Lafayette man facing charges of child molesting