WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The No. 16 Purdue volleyball team (15-5, 7-4 Big Ten) defeated Indiana (12-12, 1-10 Big Ten) in three sets (25-16, 25-12, 25-20) to earn a season sweep of the Hoosiers for the seventh consecutive year.
Junior Caitlyn Newton guided the commanding Boilermaker offense with 15 kills. Sophomore Grace Cleveland followed with 12 kills on 19 swings for a team-best .579 hitting % on the night. Freshman Emma Ellis registered seven kills, while redshirt senior Blake Mohler put five kills.
Redshirt sophomore Hayley Bush paced Purdue to a .389 hitting percentage with a match-high 36 assists.
The Boilermakers complimented their offensive attack with nine aces from six different Boilermakers. Junior Jena Otec, sophomore Marissa Hornung and Bush led the effort with two aces apiece.
Defensively, Hornung directed Purdue's backrow with 13 digs, followed by Bush with 11. Cleveland led the front row's defense with five assisted blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET 1 (25-16) | Staring off with a block from Cuttino and Cleveland, the Boilermakers jumped out to a 4-1 lead and never looked back. Seven aces fed the Boilermaker advantage as Purdue claimed the opening set 25-16.
SET 2 (25-12) | Purdue continued its momentum with a .457 hitting percentage in the second set. Closing the frame out on a 15-2 run, the Boilermakers limited the Hoosiers to a .086 hitting percentage.
SET 3 (25-20) | Much like the first set, Purdue opened with a 4-1 lead. With Purdue leading 22-16, Indiana sparked for a 4-0 run to come within two at 22-20. The Boilermakers, with a trio of kills from Cleveland and Newton, closed out the set 25-20 and the match 3-0.
The Boilermakers welcome No.6 Minnesota to Holloway for a 1 p.m. ET match on Sunday.
- Purdue volleyball continues dominance of Indiana with sweep
- Purdue volleyball wins second straight, sweeps Northwestern
- Purdue volleyball outlasts Indiana in five sets
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue volleyball ends 3-game skid, sweeps Rutgers at home
- No. 21 Purdue volleyball sweeps No. 10 Wisconsin
- No. 12 Purdue volleyball sweeps ETSU in NCAA Tournament opener
- No. 21 Purdue dominates Valparaiso 80-50
- Purdue volleyball stuns No. Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- Purdue volleyball swept at Wisconsin