LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A large part of South 4th Street in Lafayette will close for a majority of the summer Monday. The city is replacing an aging water main along the street.
Wessler Engineering will close northbound 4th Street between Owen and Kossuth streets during the first part of the project. Southbound traffic on 4th Street will still be open to drivers. Detours will take you around to 9th Street.
Tina Minjares, the owner of new restaurant Bahn Mi, opened the storefront on 4th and Owen streets last month. She said she was notified only a week before construction was scheduled to start.
She is used to the impact this can have on a business. Her old restaurant was located on State Street during the State Street Project. She said it's frustrating to have to go through this again.
"Very short notice, but nothing you can do about it," Minjares said. "It is what it is and we have to go with the flow."
The north part of the project is expected to end Aug. 1, or at least before school is back in session. The start of the south portion is all dependent on the timing of the north's. However, if the full contract time is used, this project could last well into October.
The area being worked on during the second phase is from Mary Lou Donuts to Montefiori Street. There will also be a new water main replacement there. This project will also include a new sidewalk along the east side of 4th Street. Like the first part of the project, northbound traffic will be closed and southbound traffic will still be open.
The owner of Mary Lou Donuts said he's going to have to dip into his resources to make up for the potential loss in business.
He will be using the donut truck, and the city is allowing him to park it in a few places in Lafayette throughout the project.
The start of the first project was delayed by a few days. Wessler Engineering said it was supposed to begin last week. The contractor wasn't ready to start yet because they did not have all the materials.
- First phase of summer 4th Street closures begins Monday
- South Street closure begins Monday
- Final phase of State Street redevelopment to begin Monday
- Last summer for Sagamore closures
- Main Street closure pushed back
- Final Phase of West Lafayette State Street Project begins in March
- North River Road to close for the summer beginning Monday
- 4th St. Construction finally begins, additional road closure added to project
- Meetings to detail Phase two of State Street Redevelopment Project
- Sagamore Parkway Bridge closures begin today