LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- After several setbacks, a major road construction project will begin Wednesday in Lafayette. The City's project to replace an aging water main along Fourth Street was supposed to begin last Monday.
An additional closure has been added to the project, but it will be temporary. Kossuth St. will now be closed between Fourth and Fifth Streets. Lafayette city engineers told News 18 additional work needs to be done on that portion. Crews will be working on another waterline in this area. This closure will start Wednesday and last until next Monday, June 24th.
As News 18 previously reported, the project was delayed. The contractor did not have all the materials necessary and was not ready to begin.
The Fourth Street Project is split into two phases. The north portion, between Kossuth and Owen Streets is beginning Wednesday.
The northbound lanes between Kossuth and Owen Streets will be closed. Southbound traffic will stay open for this entire project.
Detour Information: north and southbound Fourth Street will be open to traffic all the way up to Owen Street. It will close just north of the intersection of Owen and Fourth Street. If you are traveling northbound on Fourth Street, you will be detoured to Ninth Street.
If you are traveling west on Owen Street, you will be able to take Fourth Street south.
This closure is expected to last until August first.
Lafayette City Engineers told News 18 they were finishing up another job and confirmed they are now ready to begin the project Wednesday.
Besides the additional closure on Kossuth, only the first phase, or the north portion, of this project is beginning Wednesday. The second phase, or the south portion, will begin after the completion of the first phase. The south portion of the project will close Fourth Street from Mary Lou Donuts to Montefiori Street. To read more about the second phase of the closure, click here.
- 4th St. Construction finally begins, additional road closure added to project
- First phase of summer 4th Street closures begins Monday
- St. James Church begins restoration project
- One West Lafayette road closure pushes a construction project ahead of schedule
- South Street closure begins Monday
- West Lafayette begins planning for Lindberg Road construction
- North River Road closure rescheduled
- Road Closure: I-65 southbound lane
- INDOT begins 2 road projects in Tippecanoe County Monday
- Sagamore Parkway Bridge closures begin today