82% of the days since May 1 have been above normal. Although the greatest excesses above normal were in May, the extra heat led to rapid growth & advancement of local crops after a dismally-cold April.
Although the warmth has been noticeable, we have not had any major, major heat wave with temperatures reaching 100. Rather, it has been a consistent warmth with above normal means over a long period of time. Any days below normal have tended to be tied to more widespread heavy rainfall & cloud skies holding the temperature down & not necessarily a strong cold front.
With the warmth, rainfall has been ample over the area after a very dry May that snuck into June for part of the area.
Now, the trend is for more below normal temperature to consistently occur late July & into part of August (looks like we may have an intense heat resurgence in late August to perhaps early September).
May 1 to July 11 Purdue Universiry Airport ASOS weather station temperature anomalies are shown below. I also have projections, based on current data, for July 12-31. Should this hold, the 6 consecutive day period of below normal temperature July 22-27 would be the longest since April 25-30.
Another interesting note is regarding to the May heat. The near/record Memorial Day period heat wave brought temperatures of 95-99 to the area. This made it the hottest Memorial Day since 1911 (some places even exceeded it).
Less than 1 percent of all years since 1879 at West Lafayette have seen the maximum temperature for the year occur in May. Overall, just 4% of the years have the maximum temperature in June.
The normal highest temperature of the summer occurs between July 15 & 22, as a whole, for our area.
Also, temperatures exceeding 95 occur every 2.5 years over much of the area.
- WARM STREAK SINCE MAY TO END.......MAY RETURN IN LATE AUGUST
- Purdue returns to cleanup mode after winning streak ends
- Oladipo, Pacers end Cavaliers 13-game winning streak
- Oladipo, Pacers end Spurs’ home winning streak at 14
- Staying warm
- No. 14 Ohio St. closes strong to end No. 3 Purdue's streak
- August 24: Friday Feedback
- August 31 Friday Feedback
- Late Houston rally ends Purdue's season in regional
- LET'S DIG INTO THIS COOLER PATTERN, THEN LATE AUGUST POTENTIAL HEAT WAVE