BENTON CO., Ind. (WLFI) — A Benton Community School parent is voicing her concern after the school did not tell her when a bus carrying her children crashed.
Now she's questioning the school's protocol.
"The message she had sent me told me that their bus had been in an accident, and that they were all freaking out," said Angela Weaver.
That was the text Weaver said she got from her daughter after a bus crash Wednesday afternoon.
Although the students on board were okay, she said the school failed to notify parents. Weaver said the buses were 30 minutes late dropping the kids off after getting them on different buses.
"I never got any messages from the school or anything about it," she added.
Weaver said Benton Community Schools Superintendent Gregg Hoover told her the damage was a scrape and that the school followed the proper protocol.
"There was shattered glass in two different seats that the windows were busted out of, and the mirrors were knocked off the bus," Weaver said. "So, it was much more than a scrape."
In a statement to WLFI, Hoover said:
"The primary concern was that the students were safe, followed by putting plans into motion that would safely transport the students home with minimal delay. Often, we will send out a message that there is going to be a delay if it is anticipated to be prolonged. With this situation the delay was not anticipated to be long so no notification was sent out to parents."
Weaver said minor crash or not, parents should have been notified immediately.
"Send out letters to the parents," said Weaver. "Let them know what's going on with situations instead of just sweeping it under the rug and acting like it's no big deal."
Weaver said her daughters were not asked if they needed medical attention or checked out by medical professionals before they were sent home.
- Parents question school protocol after bus crash
- Man questions LPD protocol for needles found on street
- Indiana legislators push for school bus cameras after crash
- Coroner ID's Indiana boy killed in school bus crash
- No charges in fatal Indiana crash between truck, school bus
- School bus driver accused of failing to yield in crash
- School bus crash injures 20, 1 student seriously hurt
- Clinton County crash involving school bus under investigation
- Parents of girl shot at Indiana school sue gunman's parents
- Indiana school shooter's parents deny responsibility