AUBURN, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say someone found skeletal remains in a wooded area on the edge of a northeastern Indiana city.
State police say the remains were reported Saturday afternoon by a person who was walking in the woods that are surrounded by a Walmart store and other commercial and industrial businesses in the city of Auburn about 20 miles north of Fort Wayne. Police say the remains couldn't be immediately identified because of the level of decomposition.
Police say no signs of foul play were initially found, but that an autopsy was scheduled for Monday. Investigators hope information from the autopsy will help them determine the person's identity and the circumstances of the death.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Police say skeletal remains found in northern Indiana city
- Remains found in western Indiana identified as missing man
- Police name northern Indiana man fatally shot by deputies
- Officer cleared in shooting of boy, 13, in northern Indiana
- Large employer in northern Indiana county plans more layoffs
- County in northern Indiana considers wind farm restrictions
- New bridge to take northern Indiana trail over state highway
- 2 crew hurt when freight train derails in northern Indiana
- Trump's northern Indiana rally moving to larger venue
- Government adding 4 more US prosecutors in northern Indiana