WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — No. 17 Purdue (17-6, 7-5 B1G) was slighted in five sets (23-35, 25-23, 21-25, 27-25, 15-17) by Maryland (16-8, 5-7 B1G) at the XFINITY Pavilion. The match was a dogfight from the start as both teams combined for a .358 hitting percentage in the contest.
The Terrapins have given the Boilermakers a fight since they joined the Big Ten in 2014. Purdue leads the series 6-1 with just one match decided in three sets. That one three-setter was a home match for the Boilermakers. Maryland is 8-4 on their home floor this season with a sweep of No. 18 USC on Sept. 14.
Ashley Evans set the offense to a .366 hitting percentage with 48 assists and added five kills and nine digs. Sherridan Atkinson and Azariah Stahl led Purdue’s attack with 36 kills between them. Atkinson finished with 19 kills on 30 errorless swings to hit .633 in the match with eight digs to her credit. Stahl dropped 17 kills on the Terps to hit .364 with six digs and a block. Danielle Cuttino joined the duo in double-figures with 10 kills in the match and added six blocks. Freshman Caitlyn Newton seemed to step up when the Boilermakers needed her most as the Terre Haute, Indiana, native registered nine kills and three blocks in her fourth consecutive start.
Freshman defensive specialists Julianna Reisinger and Jena Otec accounted for Purdue’s three service aces and nine digs while Brooke Peters led the back row with 14 digs.
The Boilermakers now await their rematch with the Cornhuskers in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Friday, Nov. 3, at 8 p.m. ET. Purdue then wraps up its stretch of four straight road contests with the Hawkeyes on Sunday, Nov. 5, in Iowa City, Iowa, at 3 p.m.
- Purdue volleyball edged by Maryland in five sets
- Traylor, Purdue edged by No. 8 Maryland 58-55
- Purdue volleyball outlasts Indiana in five sets
- Purdue volleyball stuns No. Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- Purdue volleyball handles Ohio State in three sets
- No. 19 Purdue volleyball tops Louisville in five-set thriller
- Purdue upsets No. 10 Maryland, 75-65
- Purdue completes weekend sweep, edges IU 56-53
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten