WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue outscored Indiana State by 19 points in the second half to break open a tight game and pull away from Indiana State 94-72 in an exhibition game Saturday afternoon at Mackey Arena.
The Boilermakers led just 41-38 at the break and led 45-42 before embarking on a 12-0 run for a 57-42 lead with 15:23 left in the game. Indiana State would get no closer than 12 points the rest of the way.
Purdue shot 55.6 percent (20-of-36) in the second half and shot 52.2 percent (36-of-69) for the entire game. Indiana State shot just 40.6 percent (28-of-69) from the field.
Dakota Mathias and Carsen Edwards led the Boilermakers with 16 points. Mathias scored 13 of his points in the first half and went 6-of-7 from the field and 4-of-5 from 3-point range while added six rebounds and three assists. Edwards tallied 13 of his points in the second half while adding three rebounds and two steals.
Isaac Haas scored 13 points with three blocks and 7-foot, 3-inch freshman Matt Haarms scored 12 points with six rebounds and three blocked shots in 17 minutes of action.
Senior Vincent Edwards added seven points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Purdue was 12-of-27 (.444) from 3-point range and was just 10-of-18 (.556) from the free throw line. The Boilermakers had 13 turnovers (just four in the second half) and outrebounded Indiana State by a 41-35 margin.
Purdue hosts Carroll College (Montana) in another exhibition game Wednesday night at 7 p.m. ET in Mackey Arena. Tickets are available on PurdueSports.com or by calling 800.49SPORT.
- HIGHLIGHTS: Big second half propels Purdue past Indiana State 94-72
- HIGHLIGHTS: Hot start propels No. 3 Purdue past Wisconsin
- Howe, McKenzie propel Purdue past Butler 5-3
- Dominique Oden's career night propels Purdue past Northwestern 63-60
- HIGHLIGHTS: Hot shooting propels Purdue women to win over Penn State
- 5-run first inning propels Northwestern over Purdue
- HIGHLIGHTS: Late touchdown lifts Nebraska past Purdue 25-24
- Purdue splits with Indiana State
- Highlights & Postgame: Purdue beats Rutgers, advances in Big Ten tournament
- Trout's 40th homer, 4 hits propel Angels past White Sox 8-7